This summer, and last summer has been a very busy one for us. Michael and I moved from Seattle to northern Idaho almost 3 years ago, and since then we have been trying to set up our home, while managing to run our business at the same time.
I am sure you also have experienced all the challenges that come with re-locating as well, as everyone moves at one point in their lives. Working your existing furniture into the right rooms, along with finding storage solutions for your home can be a big task for anyone. Thankfully, we didn’t have any added pressure of finding a new job. I am at the point now, 3 years later, and the paint is up on the walls, and furniture either has a place, or has been donated through the process, and now I can work on the smaller details of the home.
In Virginia, and Washington state, I was able to have a fun side-business, buying and selling furniture, which allowed me to go to yard sales, and estate sales on a regular basis. Through that process, I happened to just keep more than a few pieces that I loved. Last year, I was able to go through our storage unit, finish up some pieces, and give them away to my brothers and their beautiful wives, which in turn freed up a lot of valuable space for us.
A French canopy bed in the process…….
2 French Provincial Dressers Stripped Of Paint, And Stacked
Finally after being here in Idaho for some time, and being married for 9 years, we decided that we have our business running well, that we can add some little ones into our lives. And, I don’t mean more cats, although that is tempting! With that being said, I started working on converting one of our guest bedrooms into a children’s room.
The room is going to be decorated around a girls 18th century theme, with the overall color of a blue/lavender. Originally, I had three sets of french twin provincial beds in my stock before I moved, and opted to keep them, instead of selling them. You never know what you may need in a new house, right?
I decided to use two of the vintage headboards to create a day bed, with both ends upholstered. A piece of wood was added to the bottom of the frame, and upholstered. Hopefully in the coming months, I can update you on this project. I might end up changing the painted gold frame to creamy white, and haven’t decided.
Just before leaving for Idaho, I also had in my stock, 3 provincial dresser sets, and two styles which matched. So instead of just selling them off, I brought the two that matched with me. I had the idea of stacking them, one on top of another. I cut off the legs, which was risky, and when I stacked them, they blended well together. The style was identical, so the drawers matched up nicely.
This dresser had been faux painted a beautiful French gray, (as you can see in the first couple of pictures), which had two colors layered throughout. A darker brown for the base-coat, and a pale yellow, which produced the gray finish you see in one of the pictures.
Later on, the dressers were painted a rich red, in hopes of faux painting chinoiserie designs on the drawers. After the drawers, and insides were painted several coats, I changed my mind yet again!
So I had to go about removing the finish with a heat gun and paint stripper, and in doing so, loved the look of the natural wood, so I left it. I left the gold detailing, and when I remove the carpet, the flooring and the dresser should match up nicely. I find the lighter woods so dreamy!
I bought some vintage lamps, pulled them apart, and used the ornate bottom of the lamp, and re-wired the lamp into something smaller. Later, I painted them in a gray, with a white wash, and added fabric to the lampshades.
The picture frame that sits on the walls, was originally a beautiful wedding gift to Michael and I. My mom is quite talented at Brazilian needlework, and the white floral details were originally set on a rich red velvet. Instead of using the velvet, I transferred the needlework on to a natural linen flax upholstery drapery cloth, which was also used to finish the drum shades for the lamps. The frame was originally a convex mirror which nicely pushed the needlework out, allowing you to touch it. It gives a beautiful hand made artistic touch to the room.
These 18th Century prints come from around the net. They may have come out a book at one point and were uploaded online. Most of the fashions come from 1778-83. You could do a number of projects with these prints. In this post, the color is taken out of the picture, and a black and white image exists, which can be blown up and transferred to a dresser, or created into a piece of art.
Here are just some of the websites I collected them from:
– Fashion for Men during the time of Marie Antoinette EK Duncan
– Fashion Plates Of Hats And Hairstyles- Duchess In Diamonds
-Galerie des modes et costumes français 1778-1787. book-graphics.blogspot.com
Frames with images of the 18th century fashion