- Citronella 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil-$2.95 Amazon
- California Baby Citronella Bug Repellant Spray, Non-toxic, DEET free, non-chemical, hypoallergenic formula $18 Amazon
- Peppermint 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil- 10 ml $3.75 Amazon
Insect Shield Synergy (Bug Off) Essential Oil Blend. 100% Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade- Contains the Pure Essential Oils of: Citronella, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Lavender, Litsea, Tea Tree, Patchouli & Catnip $14 Amazon
Use All Natural Citronella– Citronella is the most common ingredient used in formulating mosquito repellents. Citronella oil is one of the essential oils obtained from the leaves and stems of different species of Cymbopogon (lemongrass). Citronella oil is also a plant-based insect repellent, which has a distinctive strong smell which masks other attractants to mosquitoes, making it harder for them to find you. You can buy the essential oil, and mix it in with skin moisturizer. When purchasing citronella plants, look for the authentic varieties such as cymbopogon nardus or citronella winterianus. Other plants may be sold as ‘citronella scented’, but these may not have the repelling qualities of true citronella.
Natural Mosquito Repellent Formulas- If you are wanting a variety of natural repellents, consider buying a combination of these essential oils and making your own spray mixture. Be sure to dilute them before spraying, or applying them to your skin.
- Citronella Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
- Castor Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Lemongrass Oil
- Cinnamon Oil
- Cedar Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Clove Oil
- Geranium Oil
Catnip Is The Most Effective Mosquito Repellant Plant- according to research by Iowa State University, catnip has been proven to be ten times more effective than DEET, the chemical found in most commercial insect repellents. In the laboratory, chemists tested groups of 20 mosquitoes in a two-foot glass tube. Half the tube was treated a constituent of catnip. After 10 minutes, only an average of 20 percent remained on the side of the tube treated with high doze (1.0%) oil. In the low dose test (0.1%) an average of 25% stayed on the treated side. When the same tests were conducted using DEET, approximately 40 to 45% remained on the treated side. A ten-fold higher concentration of DEET was required to obtain results similar to those of the Catnip. Many people plant catnip around their house to repel mosquitoes. Catnip leaves can also be crushed, or catnip oil can be purchased for more protection.
- Cat Nip Seeds In Bulk – Amazon
- Cat Nip Oil On Amazon
– Moisture Draws Mosquitos In- Mosquitoes are attracted by perspiration and moisture. Even small amounts of water on plants or in mud puddles will draw them in. Avoid standing water around your property which also allows mosquitoes to reproduce. Water of any sort at dusk will be an attraction for them.
-Marigold Plants Keep Mosquitos Away- these ornamental border plants have a distinctive smell which mosquitoes, and some gardeners, find particularly offensive. Marigolds contain Pyrethrum, a compound which is often used in many insect repellents. Use potted marigolds near entrances to your home and walkways. Plant marigolds next to tomato plants as they could repel insects which prey on tomato plants.
- Marigold Seeds On Amazon
– Horsemint Confuses Mosquitos – is a perennial plant which repels mosquitoes. The plant gives off a strong odor which confuses mosquitoes by masking the smell of animals and humans. Horsemint leaves are commonly dried and used to make herbal tea. Its flowers will attract bees and butterflies to your garden, while repelling mosquitoes.
- Horsemint seeds on Amazon