While shopping a few weeks ago, an older lady stopped me in the middle of an isle, asking my opinion on two lipstick colors. We got into an interesting long conversation about life and beauty products, and she happen to mention that she only uses coconut oil on her skin. She was in her late 60’s, guessing early 70’s and her skin did look amazing, so I went next door to Yokes grocery and bought a bottle of unrefined coconut oil to give it a try.
That day I had planned on buying a cream, so her encounter was perfect timing to say the least. I have to say, it felt amazing on my skin, and I couldn’t resist eating it, because it smelled so good!
- You can use it as a nourishing face cream.
- You can use it for leave-in conditioner
- You can use it for a body moisturizer.
- You can also use it for stretch marks.
- You don’t have to refrigerate it
Coconut oil has been said to lessen the appearance of skin blemishes, and fade sun or age spots… so bonus for us ladies!
If you cannot get out during the lockdowns, you can buy this for face cream that will last you a few months. You don’t have to go without those essential beauty supplies
Huffington Post interviewed Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder of why coconut oil seems to be so much different than all the moisturizers found in your local drug store.
“Commercial moisturizers contain lots of water, which makes you feel like your skin is being moisturized. But as soon as the water dries, your skin becomes dry again. Also, many commercial brands of moisturizers contain petroleum-based ingredients that can suffocate the skin. In contrast, coconut oil provides deep and real moisture. It helps strengthen underlying tissues and helps remove excessive dead cell on the skin’s surface that makes your skin rough and flaky in texture. It also great for shine and as a natural moisturizer for your hair”
Years ago, a good friend gave me a bottle of coconut oil to take home, and I found I couldn’t stand the smell. It tasted horrible, so I threw it out, which leads me to believe that every brand might taste or smell different.
Spectrum Natural Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil, on the other hand is what I picked up, and smells just like your coconut cream pies. The oil melts in your mouth, and leaves you with a hint of coconuts.
Buy The Unrefined Coconut Oil………….Here is Why:
Refined coconut oils are extracted using hexane or various enzymes or high heat. The oil is then bleached, and deodorized to kill any remaining coconut taste or smell. After this, it is mixed with preservatives. Some companies then undergo a process of hydrogenation to raise their melting point, and reduce the saturated fat content of the oil. What this does is turn some of the fatty acids into unhealthy trans fatty acids. Industrial trans fats or hydrogenated fats which fats are created by pumping hydrogen molecules into oils are considered unhealthy.
Virgin coconut oil, on the other hand, is extracted from fresh coconut meat by sun-drying, presses, or grating. Virgin products smells and tastes like coconut, whereas refined coconut oil is clear, tasteless, and odorless. Virgin coconut oil can be white, creamy tan, or yellow. Normally, it is sold in a jar or bucket, and when you open it, it will be a crumbly paste.
Here are so many more uses for coconut oil, than just moisturizing: Here are some really interesting discoveries about coconut oil:
Coconut Oil Could Prevent Alzheimer’s And Damage To The Brain:
A report published Dr. Mary Newport discovered that that ketone bodies, (an alternative fuel for your brain that your body makes when digesting coconut oil), might offer profound benefits in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. There is evidence suggesting that ketone bodies may actually help restore and renew neurons and nerve function in your brain, even after damage has set in.
The pediatrician published a book about feeding coconut oil to her husband, who suffered from Alzheimer’s, and got positive results. She says on her website, that her husband significantly improved the first year and remained stable for 2 years.
Studies have suggested that ketones, are essentially “brain food” which keeps the brain functioning when the body runs lower on glucose. Ketones are what your body produces when it converts fat (as opposed to glucose) into energy. It can help improve memory, and potentially “reverse” the effects of Alzheimer’s.
- Coconut Oil Lifts Brain Fog and Stops Memory Loss for 65 Year Old Women
- Film to be Made of Father’s Recovery from Alzheimer’s with Coconut Oil
- Canadian Man Swears by Coconut Oil as Alzheimer’s Remedy
- Woman with End-stage Alzheimer’s Sees Improvement in One Week after Starting Coconut Oil
- Coconut Oil Reverses Dementia in 100 Year Old Woman
- Coconut Oil Reverses the Effects of Alzheimer’s in 50 Year Old Woman
- Alzheimer’s and Coconut Oil: How coconut oil gave me back my brain
- Woman with Dementia Sees Improved Memory and Better Conversation Skills after Starting Coconut Oil
Other Interesting Uses For Coconut Oil:
– Substituting Coconut Oil In Place Of Butter. Coconut oil is far superior to any other cooking oil and is loaded with health benefits. For baking, most people will use a 1:1 ratio or 80% coconut oil 20% water when replacing butter. Coconut is a healthier oil than animal fats such as butter, and far better than vegetable oils which are often hydrogenated. Use it on toast as a way to replace butter. Consider using it on popcorn. Simply melt some coconut oil and drizzle it over your popcorn, and add a touch of salt. I might try it on my vegetables instead of butter!
– Coconut Oil As Deodorant. Apocrine sweat glands that become active during puberty produce sweat from our underarms and around the genitals. The sweat from apocrine glands has lipids (essentially fats) that bacteria feed off of, producing an odor. Coconut oil will help decrease the bacteria count which causes the odor. Simply mix about a tablespoon of arrowroot powder into 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil for an easy homemade deodorant.
-Coconut Oil May Help Improve Blood Flow. Coconut oil balances your thyroid and normalizes your cholesterol levels. As it can raise the levels of “good”-cholesterol, the ratio between HDL and LDL-“bad” cholesterol-are evened. Since LDL cholesterol can thicken the blood, HDL lowers levels, which produces thinner blood, which gives you better circulation. Start with a ½ tablespoon a day and work up to 1 tablespoon.
-Coconut Oil Helpful for Fat Loss- (MCTs) found in coconut oil promote weight loss, and are helpful for shedding adipose fat in particular. The MCT’s do not get stored away to add to body weight, but instead are directly sent to the liver, where they are immediately converted to energy. Again, this fat is not stored as fat but directly used to generate energy, which speeds your metabolism. A number of studies have confirmed this unique characteristic of virgin coconut oil.
– Forget About Vicks Vapor Rub For Colds- Mix peppermint essential oil with coconut oil to make a home made natural vapor rub that you can apply beneath your nose and on your chest when you’re congested. Use peppermint to breath better at night. Add your favorite blend of essential oils to some coconut oil to dab on the back of your neck when you feel stressed at work. Peppermint and eucalyptus works well for headaches and tension, and lemon for energy.
– Homemade Teething Gel- Coconut oil can be a perfect homemade natural teething gel for your baby. Simply rub a little over the gums with your finger, and to add an extra pain killing kick, add cloves to the mix, which contains eugenol, a pain-killing substance. Many say, that you shouldn’t use essential oils with babies or very young children, so instead mix powder into the coconut oil. For a formula you can make at once, use 2 teaspoons of whole cloves to ¼-1/2 cup of coconut oil and let it sit over low heat for 1 hour. Remove any solids, and place it in a jar…… the oil will solidify when cooled down.
– Coconut Oil For Lice– Lice don’t like coconut oil, and many people have found that chases them away. If there is an outbreak at your kids school with lice, dip a fine toothed comb in coconut oil and run it through their hair as a natural prevention method to keep your kids from having lice.