Homesteading Self Sufficiency Survival
The Top 10 Natural Alternatives To Ibuprofen
While Ibuprofen is a very effective anti-inflammatory, it’s side effects of both ulcers or stomach and digestive tract damage as well as long term circulatory system and heart damage through constant use make the need for a natural alternative without side effects all that much more desirable and even necessary. And you won’t be required to drink milk or some other thick dairy product to coat and protect your stomach from these options either.
1. Boswellia: An anti-inflammatory remedy from the Boswellia Serrata tree that grows in India. It’s boswellic acids are the source of it’s effectivness. The acids improve blood flow to the joints and prevent inflammation in damaged tissue. The suggested daily dose is 450 to 750 mg. You can find Boswellia here: http://amzn.to/104u2Fo
2. Capsaicin: The active compound found within chili peppers. Capsaicin is often used topically for pain. It works by interfering with pain signals sent to the brain. It is typically available as a topical cream or gel. A recommended potency is 0.025% to 0.075% and is usually applied three to four times daily. Some individuals complain of stinging and burning upon their first few uses, however this typically subsides with use and is not common.
You can find an excellent high strength no-mess Capsaicin here: http://amzn.to/Y8MkhE
3. Cat’s claw: Uncaria tomentosa, also known as una de gato, grows in South America. It is an anti-inflammatory that blocks the production of inflammation and pain producing hormones. Daily doses are typically 250 to 1,000 mg one to three times daily.
You can find Cat’s Claw here: http://amzn.to/WGuuc0
4. Curcumin: Curcumin is a component of the herb turmeric and is a potent painkiller that stops inflammation as well as pain response. This substance is especially effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Take 400 to 600 mg of curcumin three times daily for pain and inflammation.
Curcumin can be found here: http://amzn.to/163sNqj
5. Omega-3 fatty acids: The omega 3 fatty acids are excellent anti-inflammatories that have proven beneficial for use against arthritis and other inflammatory joint and bowel conditions. Omega 3s also coat the cardiovascular system, healing the veins, arteries and heart, which reduces cardiovascular risk. Omega 3s are particularly helpful with rheumatoid arthritis, which carries an increased risk for cardiovascular disease. Omega-3 fatty acids taken via fish oil are best consumed at 1,000 mg daily for proper effectiveness. Larger doses are also helpful with hemp seed oil being even more effective and containing Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. The usual 1,000mg also applies with hemp seed oil as well, however any amount can be ingested as hemp seed oil carries zero side effects. This is not the case with fish oil which can cause allergic skin reactions in those who ingest either too much or for too long of a period of time. Naturally we recommend hemp seed oil above all else.
Fish oil can be found here: http://amzn.to/ZWHfw4
Hemp oil is found here: http://amzn.to/ZWHwzc
6. White willow bark: The predecessor of aspirin. White Willow Bark contains salicin. Salicin converts to salicylic acid in the stomach. Being much less irritating to the stomach than the synthetic drug aspirin, White Willow Bark is a more natural and health friendly pain, inflammation and fever reducer. Use 1 to 2 dropperfuls of white willow bark tincture daily until pain, inflammation or fever subside. Please note that those with aspirin allergies will also experience those same allergies when using white willow bark.
White Willow Bark liquid: http://amzn.to/Za8XDd
White Willow Bark capsules: http://amzn.to/Z2lfAY
7. Devil’s Claw: Is a powerful anti-inflammatory and likely the most direct replacement for ibuprofen. However, it can be a bit powerful on the stomach just like ibuprofen and so drinking milk or some other protective substance with or prior to taking the capsules is highly recommended. It is however not nearly as hard on the stomach as ibuprofen and has none of the other side effects or long term damaging factors associated with ibuprofen – quite the opposite actually as it actually has many regenerative effects on the body. It is also highly effective and can be taken regularly without any harmful effects. Take 900-1000mg twice daily for effective pain relief.
Devil’s Claw capsules: http://amzn.to/18PQAbg
8. Feverfew: Another powerful anti-inflammatory that also improves circulation to the joints, eyes, organs, etc while delivering effective pain relief. It has long been combined with Butterbur in a 50:50 ratio since Feverfew concentrates on the small internal tissues and fine circulation while Butterbur focuses on the muscles and larger more external tissues of the body. Take 350 – 400mg 3 times daily of Feverfew or half that amount when combining with Butterbur.
Feverfew capsules: http://amzn.to/1gkVohx
9. Butterbur: Another powerful anti-inflammatory that is taken in much smaller quantities due to it’s potency. It is also good in dealing with sinus troubles or other issues such as swelling and pain with mucous generating tissues. It has long been combined with Feverfew in a 50:50 ratio since Feverfew concentrates on the small internal tissues and fine circulation while Butterbur focuses on the muscles and larger more external tissues of the body. Take 75 – 100mg twice daily of Butterbur or half that amount when combining with Feverfew.
Butterbur capsules: http://amzn.to/1b4xBeF
10. Arnica: Arnica Montana is a flower extract that has no known side effects. It is highly effective for pain relief, particularly for pain resulting from muscle damage, bruising or even arthritis. Since it is quite gentle on the system it has long been used to treat injured animals/pets for anything involving pain or inflammation. You will typically take 30C to 100C of Arnica depending on the severity of the pain or how widespread in the body.
Arnica tablets: http://amzn.to/1b4xP5i
Follow us on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/homesteadingsur/
Pin this post: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/545357836099920694/
Survival Seeds Pack – 15,000 Non GMO Heirloom Vegetable Seeds 30 Variety Pack: http://amzn.to/1RIEJaX